Your Professional Blog
The values we live, breath and operate by create the nucleus of our company.
The New Director ID
1 minute read
In June 2020, the Australian Government introduced the Treasury Laws Amendment (Registries Modernisation and Other Measures) Act 202 (Cth). Part of the measures in this legislation introduced a new regime to Part 9.1A of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) whereby a new system would be introduced, issuing Director Identification Numbers (DIN).
What is a Director Identification Number (DIN)?
The Director Identification Number (DIN) is the first service to be delivered by the Australian Business Registry Services (ABRS) and aims to create a single source of trusted and accessible business data to verify the identity of Directors.
The DIN will be a 15-digit number which will always remain the same, whether a Director ceases their position, changes company, changes their name (due to marital status or other legal-based matters) or moves interstate or overseas.
Who should apply for a Director Identification Number (DIN)?
Who needs to apply
Who does not need to apply
· a company
· a registered foreign company
· a registered Australian body
· an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander corporation
· a charity or not-for-profit organisation that is a company
· director of an incorporated association (with no ABRN) registered with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC)
· company secretary but not a director
· acting as an external administrator of a company
· run your business as a sole trader or partnership
· a director of a registered charity with an organisation type that is not registered with ASIC to operate throughout Australia
· an officer of an unincorporated association, cooperative or incorporated association established under state or territory legislation, unless the organisation is also a registered Australian body
When to Apply
Date you were appointed as a Director
Date you must apply for a DIN
On or before 31 October 2021
By 30 November 2022
Between 1 November 2021 and 4 April 2022
Within 28 days of appointment
From 5 April 2022
How to Apply
Director’s need to apply for their DIN personally. The fastest way to do this is online using the myGovID app. It is completely free of charge.
For additional information, please visit the ABRS Director Identification Number website or speak with your Accountant.